St. Peter’s Teens in Action
The St. Peter’s Teens in Action Youth Group is built on the premise that the teens and youth of our parish are a blessing and a gift. Teens are an integral and important part of our parish family as they are the future of our church and they bring unique talents to our parish family.
We strive to:
- Provide a safe zone where teens can connect to each other to share their faith in a fun way.
- Help teens be authentic in their sharing and to find and live out their connection to God.
- Be a place for teens to develop friendships with others who share similar morals and values and to be known for something other than academics or sports.
- Empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
- Challenge teens to find their inner strength to put their God-given talents to use to learn what it means to serve others as Christ did.
- Draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the St. Peter’s faith community.
- Foster the total, personal and spiritual growth of each young person and find the best in each teen.
- Be concerned with the whole person, addressing young people’s spiritual needs in the context of other parts of their lives.
We are truly blessed to have an active teen population in our parish
and are very appreciative of the support of the parish to help keep our
“teens in action,” living out their faith!
Lisa Weis (email@example.com) and Erika Fleig (Erika.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Spring has Sprung for TIA
What is spring, if not a time for baseball and yardwork? In April, the teens were happy to welcome Sister Jerilyn from Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to our monthly meeting, where she shared some stories about the important work she does with young people in prison. We saw some amazing, inspiring, and deeply personal examples of faith in the artwork of those she works with and ministers to. We got to return the favor by helping out with some spring cleanup on the grounds of the Apostles here in Higganum, followed by a little fun on the water!
The Teens in Action was also happy to host a parish trip to Yankee Stadium in April, where we had an Aaron Judge 2-run home run hit into our section! (No, we didn’t walk away with the ball, but we were close!)
And finally, we would like to thank Father Peter for helping us to remember and pray for the victims of the mass shooting in Parkland, FL earlier this year with a special mass. A photo of the banner signed by all those who attended was sent down to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School with our prayers.
Important Upcoming Dates
- Spring Cleanup at St. Peters: Saturday, May 12th, 9-12
- Parish Ministry Fair: Sunday, May 20th after 8:30 mass. Teens needed to represent TIA to future members!
- June TIA Meeting: Sunday, June 3rd, 6-8pm
- Wash While You Worship TIA Car Wash and Bake Sale: Sunday, June 10th
- Catholic Heart Work Camp Sendoff Mass: Saturday, July 14th 5:00
- CHWC Trip to Pittsburgh!!!: July 15-20
And don’t forget, you can always find the TIA Event Calendar online.
Archive Website Updates
Teens in Action in Pittsburgh this summer!!
Every summer the St. Peter’s TIA heads to a different part of the United States to join the Catholic Heart Work Camp team in helping people in need repair their homes. This year, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania will join the list of cities where the teens from St Peter’s have a made a difference. Other cities served by our TIA in past years include Plattsburgh NY, North Arlington NJ, Cumberland MD, Boston MA, Laurel MD, and Providence RI. At these different CHWC sites, teens from St. Peter’s join over 300 Catholic youth from around the country for a week of service and prayer. Teens work in small groups at either the homes of needy people or agencies that provide services to people in need. So many of our teens come back saying, “It has changed my life!” St Peters has 30 spaces for the trip this summer which will take place from July 15th to the 21st. To find out more about the CHWC experience, visit www.heartworkcamp.com. To find out more about the St Peter TIA CHWC mission trip this summer email Lisa Weis at LMenilloweis@comcast.net.
St Peter’s TIA arriving in Plattsburgh NY for their CHWC mission trip